Well you saw the pink baby shoe that was altered into a pincushion. That little beauty was sent to live with someone else. Who loved receiveing it. Now I bet you wondered whatever happened to the other baby shoe….left all alone… well in the process of things called a life and the fact that it takes time to blog….I forgot to post what I made with that other darling baby shoe….so here it is….the untold story of the other baby shoe….now as you can tell this shoe looks quite a bit different than the pincushion baby shoe….truth is I cut off the high top of the shoe….at this point I wasn’t afraid to cut and trim and repurpose it since the first shoe turned out so fine. Well getting up my courage, I then mod podged on vintage sheet music I was lucky enough to purchased a whole book at an estate sale for 50 cents. The sweet old lady had been a piano teacher and had around 100 books….seriously why did I ever pass up a find like that?!? Well never thought I’d actually use them…..so moving on….the shoe turned out perfect….I was hesitant to do more with it…I could have just put on a flower and called it good….but of course not….I love to alter things and the more I put on something the better I feel in the end….anyone else feel that way too?? The more the merrier? Looking at the shoe it needed something….with the height gone on top I decided to give it height from below so to the bottom of the shoe I glued on a wooden spool to make it look like a heel. Yep I know I could have used anything for a heel so why a spool?? No idea maybe it was the wood color I really liked….anyway from there I had to add something inside….I did try to fill it with a stuffed burlap, but it just didn’t look good….so I browsed the internet and found a very pretty vintage image ….honestly I’m not sure where I hyperlinked to get the image….should I come across it again I’ll be sure to put up a link and share it. Well of course I distressed the picture with Tim Holtz crackle glaze. If you’ve never used it, go out and buy some…best stuff EVER for putting a fun crackle glaze on things AND best of all it’s super easy to use. At this point it still needed more so what do I add……vintage lace, pearls, handmade flowers (a youtube find and I’ll be sure to post the link) a buckle, a fleur de lis, a little vellum bow, feathers……honestly I didn’t want to stop adding…but there comes a point where there’s just no more room to add more so you stop…..and voila! A vintage altered baby shoe!! I know you’ll never see baby shoes the same….well I don’t…I’m always on the hunt for more cute shoes to turn into fun altered items…..This little shoe treasure found a new home with one of my swap ladies…..it actually matched an easter egg I had altered and sent her…but that is definately another story….till then enjoy!!
I was so inspired by the Birdsong paper from Graphic 45 I made an altered altoid tin diorama. I used vintage buttons and trinkets from my stash. Glass beads were used for the feet on the bottom. I removed the lid and placed the main body of the tin on it. Everything was hot glued using a low temp glue gun.
I was browsing facebook and I came across the idea of altering a shoe–not sure what post I saw it on or where but I was instantly intrigued. I know it sounds strange and why would you want to alter a shoe…well I have to tell you it’s one of THE most creative things I’ve done in a while! It’s very addicting too…since making this baby shoe I’ve altered 4 other shoes and I have more awaiting my creative muse! For this baby shoe I used a size 2 girls mary jane with a soft soled bottom. I had some beautiful lace from a wedding dress I tore loveingly apart for just such an occasion as this. Since this was such a small shoe I decided to make it into a pin holder for hat pins (which you can see in an earlier post). All of the embellishments on the shoe were hot glued using a low temp glue gun. I hope it inspires you to think outside your box and repurpose something you would never have thought to repurpose!
Sooo for a year I had a small bedroom all to myself for crafting. I had no complaints what-so-ever…..but then I came to the realization that I also had a full basement that was just calling to be used. I had given it to my kids to have as their “domain”…. as their own apartment downstairs, but they never did anything with it besides fill it with junk…so I “flipped” the house….. literally. I decided to make the basement into my personal master retreat. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 “living” areas and a bathroom downstairs…perfect retreat! I feel like I have my own apartment! LOL I’m only partial sub-terranium and have 4′ high windows…it’s amazing how much light I have to create with in my new space. The pics were taken at night so you don’t get to see the light but the amount of space is amazing!
I am crazy addicted to anything Wonderland themed. I’m particularly fond of the Red Queen so I hosted a swap on Splitcoaststampers for altered bottlecap magnets and made my set all about the Red Queen. The box was made by cricut’s Boxes, bag, tags and more….love that cartridge. It’s a window matchbox though I made it so it won’t open.
I had a dream about a steampunk’d mickey mouse. Not really sure why I had a dream of a steampunk Mickey but dreams are what they are. Now making a dream become reality is a bit more challenging. After searching for 2 months for the right “trinkets” and with a little help from a friend (yes you Sabrina) I finally brought Mickey to life! I found this great picture on the web and I will have to give credit to the site. I cut it down and using e6000 glue I painstakingly glued each gear and bead to the picture. I love how it turned out! The e6000 glue also gave a bit of dimension to the piece as well. Hope I inspire an inner steampunk vision to come to you!